Egg donation: A new age solution for childless couples
The treatment of infertility has seen tremendous change in the last few years and now doctors have various alternatives to provide solutions for couples striving hard to start family. Dr. Rita Bakshi of International Fertility Centre calls it a revolution in medical science. There are surely many variations of infertility and the experts have to deep dive in the problem to understand the actual cause and then plan the treatment. Ovulation related problems are one of the major reasons for infertility in women. Earlier there was no solution for this problem and the couples had to select the option of being childless forever or adopting a baby that is nowhere related to them genetically. There is surely no question about the nobility factor and it is being a great gesture towards basic human values, couples find little bit difficult to establish an emotional bond with the adopted child. Also in the future, there major psychological issues that take place when the reality gets disclosed to the adopted child. Egg donation has opened new doors by providing a chance to have at least partial genetic connection with the baby.
How it is a new age solution
Times have changed and revolution in the field of medical science because of extensive research and development and now infertile couples have a plethora of options available in the form of IVF, ART, surrogacy and egg donation. The option of taking eggs from donor woman has made it possible for a woman to enjoy motherhood of a baby that is at least genetically connected to her partner. The advance technology has made it possible to handle this complicated process safely. It is also a new age solution because the latest technology has made it very convenient and comparatively safe. The process is not much painful for donor woman as well as for the intended mother. The clinics like International Fertility Centre would work with the latest machines and equipment to ensure the quality of the treatment. The availability of effective drugs to control hormone level has made it possible to produce a baby with an egg donation!
When is it useful
Couples visit infertility clinics like IFC, when they are unable to success with pregnancy after trying for few months. Experts have one round of preliminary tests to determine what is the fundamental reason behind it?
If the problem narrows down to the poor quality of eggs, then the chances of conception become feeble. There is one more aspect where the female partner does not have problems in ovulation and even the quality of eggs is also up to the mark, but she is suggested not to have pregnancy because of some specific diseases that would be carried out in the next generation. Doctors suggest the option of egg donation as the best solution because of the two basic reasons. First, the chances of getting genetic disorders of the mother to the next generation will be eliminated by donating eggs and secondly still there will be partial genetic connection to have an emotional satisfaction. Egg donation is an act of tremendous willingness to help others, readiness to accept the challenge and courage to undergo the medical process. Women come forward to provide the egg for those have no other option to get blessed with a baby.
Process and risks
The process of egg donation is a coordinated effort of the doctors, intended parents and the donor woman. In fact, the doctors have a great challenge of synchronising the ovulation cycle of two women at the same time. Without the perfect timing, the success is not possible at all.
- The ovulation cycle of intended mother and the donor woman are matched using special medicines. These drugs contain hormones that are naturally secreted in the female body and control the ovulation cycle. Doctors inject it and artificially create the environment for ovulation and egg maturity. Normally in the egg donation, doctors get multiple eggs released in one go. There are many reasons for this. Firstly, it is not possible to include the donor woman every time for a pregnancy trial. This process has multiple tries and attempts and the donor woman can’t be made available every time.
- While the donor woman is working towards providing eggs for the process, doctors make the intended mother ready for accepting the fertilized egg. Again, hormones come to the help and special hormones that get secreted naturally when the fertilization occurs in the body, are injected artificially. This triggers the process of making the uterus ready for the pregnancy in the body of the intended mother. Internal lining of the uterus plays a major role to make the pregnancy possible.
- These injections make that lining thicker and stronger. Intended father provides the sperms for fertilization. In the rare case where the intended father is incapable of providing the sperms, donor sperm are taken. The fertilization takes place in the laboratory.
- Doctors prepare multiple embryos, typically three or four ready for implantation. Only two or three will be used for implantation and rest will be preserved under extremely low temperature for further attempts. The embryo is kept under development for two to three days and then the implantation process is carried out. The fittest of the embryos (usually two if the intended mother is under 40 and three if she is above 40 years of age) are selected and implanted in the womb of the intended mother. Pregnancy test is done after a week or so and then pregnancy continues.
- There are not many risks in the process except a few side-effects of hormones like nausea, vomiting, headache, loss of appetite, etc. There some rare cases of the accidental pregnancy in the fallopian tube instead of uterus. However, these can be handled well by expert doctors like Dr. Rita Bakshi.
Egg donation has become popular and many women are coming forward to help those who are not able to enjoy parenthood due to infertility. The process is not that simple, but clinics like International Fertility Centre makes it quite simpler with the help of latest technology, modern machines and team of expert doctors under the guidance of renowned fertility expert Dr. Rita Bakshi. The adaptability and acceptability of egg donation as a solution for bringing the parenthood in the life of childless couple has been increasing every day! People are coming to the doctors with the help of getting blesses with a kid and in most of the cases they are going back with a big grin of success.